terça-feira, 28 de dezembro de 2010

beware of the default international

By Paulo Camurugi

Who was never duped?  I have made several mistakes, but there are some that are more marked than others.  The amazing thing is that even if you try to avoid it, the deceit can come from anywhere or anyone.  I've been deceived by Italians, Americans, Germans, Japanese, Chinese. You ask me, and by Brazilians? My reply: by Brazilians too!

But the deceit that was really marked was the one with an Egyptian.  I was starting with my international trading company, when my partner needed to find a trading company to export granite slabs.  Through our relationship - big mistake - I accepted the transaction without checking the information and without requiring a warranty or security.


Interestingly, the address of the customer was on the Golf Towers condominium.  By such imposing name, I thought I was dealing with a luxury condominium business.  But not everything that glitters is gold;            when I went to collect the customer personally, since the value of the debt was not so low, I was surprised to learn that the building did not belong to any condominium, and it was a house like those buildings after the war in Iraq.

A great lesson I learned and I will pass it to my readers: never sell something without a letter of credit or an advance payment.   You can even sell in parcels, but this can only be after a long time of business with that client.  For it is very common for the importer to buy and then put defects in the goods to get some discount.

But you can say that this only happens with risk countries.  Not so, because that also happens with buyers of the first world.  It happened with a German company that bought of me two containers of wood and then reported that the merchandise was not within their standard of required quality.  Except that when I went to check the goods in his warehouse, I found that he had only a small part of it: the customer had already sold most of the merchandise!

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário